Monday, May 19, 2008

Mystery plants and amazing plants


Blue Beauty: Mystery plant number one. Leaf patterns like the pea family, or maybe rose family, and flowers with five petals and adorable pistol. Any guesses?


Calendula bramble; Mystery plant number two. Calendula like flowers on a rubus style branch growing up and over from the ground. ?
This is the amazing plant. It's the St. Johnswort (Hypericum Perforatum) that began growing in my garden, independently, in other words I didn't plant it, two years ago. Each year there have been a couple more stems of it. But this year, the stems grew RED. ?! I've never seen red stems on SJW although it makes sense, but I've also never seen a stand of SJW actually change colors like that. WHen I crush a peice of stem - it's clear, not red like the bud. And it's beautiful, just beautiful.


Every year I adore the vibrant blossoming of the celandine. I don't talk much of it, I think I take it for granted. But I shouldn't ... it's an unsurpassed topical cure for plantar warts and can also be taken in small amounts internally to help combat retro-viruses. As the yellow stem sap indicates (as in: bile) it's also good for boosting the liver and gall bladder's function. Extremely bitter to the taste, we are well warned not to over do the use of this medicine.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The yellow-flowered bush: try a Kerria japonica, the filled-flower version.

Ananda said...

perfect - thanks!

Anonymous said...

The blue flower is probably a Polemonium. The yellow is Keria japonica Pleniflora. The red stems is caused by Anthocyan, which turns red in cool weather - same thing is what makes beets red. It's like anti-freeze for plants.