Thursday, May 8, 2008

Poison Ivy, Backyard Remedy (and then some)


My dear friend's Husband wrote me an email yesterday .... plagued with an annual whipping of Poison Ivy. It's like an unwelcome visitor from a mean old bully from school, they just obnoxiously arrive, with a sense of entitlement and expectation. At first you think, well maybe it's be different this year .... maybe they have changed and become more compassionate. .....but it just gets worse and worse. Pretty soon you just want to choke them.


So, for anyone out there, my invisible voyeurs, here is my response. Keep in mind the myriad remedies that books and herbalists avail .... not to mention the wealth of medicine that our green world offers ..... I cannot possibly list all of the plentiful options. I list the simplest, most easily attainable remedies that I know WORK.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Hi! Oh bummer - poison Ivy, no fun.


Well, if it were me, I would probably make up a strong batch of Mugwort vinegar for it. It's my most reliable PI remedy. Not the kind that has to steep for six weeks, (you obviously don't have six weeks to wait!) but a brew of sorts. You could use the silvery Artemisia in your yard if you can't find regular mugwort.


I would roughly chop it; a good 8 oz cup of it; and put it in a pot (enamel, glass or stainless) with an equal amount of apple cider vinegar. Warm it over low heat for about 10 minutes, keeping it gently steamy like hot tea. Then cover it and let infuse for another 10 or 20 minutes. Don't strain it. Put the whole thing in a jar and refrigerate it like that. Shaking it before applying is good. You can apply it as often as needed with cotton. You can pour some into an extra bottle to take with you. It will last a while so don't worry about it going bad.


Some helpful additions are:


Peppermint or Chamomile (tea bags work O.K. if you have those on hand)

Clay - like the facial clay - you can get french green clay at your local health food market

Goldenseal powder - last resort as it is endangered and extremely expensive - but a sure fire relief for intense itching and PI that is oozing or blistering. You can add this to your solution or just sprinkle it on as is. Beware the gorgeous yellow color that stains! Oregon Grape root is an optional substitute.

Colloidal silver - not found in your back yard, unfortunately - but a bottle of this clear aqueous liquid is great not just because it helps, but because it's invisible - in case you have a business meeting or something where you can't show up painted yellow :) You can also add this to your Artemisia vinegar. "
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What is your favorite Poison Ivy cure???


3 comments:

Oakmoss Changeling said...

Similar to you, I use a Mugwort and Rose vinegar, and afterwards a diluted application of Grindelia tincture. So far so good, lots of poison ivy here but I'm immune to it happily. I happily tromp barefoot through large patches every year.

Oh, and Rose and Dandelion internally depending on the person, to clear the heat and help the liver process the immunological reaction. If the reaction is just crazy and out of hand, then Peach tincture is a nice choice internally, though Rose works (again) in a pinch :)

Yarrow said...

Once again, thank you for the info. I learn something new everytime I stop by. I have just this last week pulled up several stands of poison ivy from around my yard. (Heavily gloved of course.) So it is just a matter of time before one of the kids finds some that I missed. But colloidal silver, I never knew! Amazing!

Ananda said...

Kiva - great info! I usually forget to mention to folks that they can treat PI internally as well. It does help.

Yarrow - glad you are enjoying your visits! Hopefully your preparedness will ward off any future episodes!

Blessings green friends,
ananda