Thursday, July 3, 2008

Oh my .... my first drum.


For my Birthday, (July 7) my Mother and Godfather/stepfather gifted me a gift far more than an object.


My first Drum.


I am just taken. I've never had a drum of my own, nor taken classes. In fact I never felt worthy of a drum because I fear the cultural appropriation it implies and I think there is an initiation process that earns one a drum; a sort of rite of passage.... or something I can't put my finger on.
But this drum sings right to my soul ..... the resonance of it's sound vibrates quite literally, right through my skin and blood, into the very marrow of my bones.


I never in a million years expected to be gifted with my own drum. What does this mean? Am I worthy? Can I use this to it's best power? How? What is the drums name? Her medicine? Her gift?


Is it a milestone that I don't see? I'm always changing .... everything either feels like a milestone or a great painful waiting. What shall I learn? What new song will she teach me?

I'm listening, for sure.

4 comments:

Yarrow said...

Oh how absolutely gorgeous! What a wonderful gift. I know that you will find her song, and sing it along with her beautifully. Enjoy and blessings.

Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous drum! I've considered getting one several times, but never did, as I don't think I'd be able to use it well enough.

Also want to tell you that I received the two salves a few days ago...LOVE them!! And thank you for the lip balm...love that too. My kitties love it when I use any of it...they sniff and sniff...heh. :-)

Ananda said...

Hi sarah! I'm glad you got your salves and are enjoying them .. along with your kitties!

Maybe the right moment will come for your drum to arrive too:)

Bright Blessings

Ananda

Brigitte said...

Wow!
What a powerful drum!
She found her way to the right person who cares for her with respect.
I wish you to find your heart song and home with this beautiful drum.
Maybe she will carry you over the month when you miss summer...

Love
Brigitte