Sunday, September 21, 2008

Flower Faery from the forest edge



Sweet Everlasting. The sweetest little plant indeed... a new one to my repertoire, at least from meeting in person. I thought she was a faery in the woods, dancing along the sides of the path, like a translucent little pixie tugging at my skirt. Skipping along with a twinkle, she tugs each time I pass, hurriedly, as I host others along the trail to and fro. But the moment I was alone, she batted her eyelashes so big I had to stop. Hmmm, I think, looks a little like a tiny boneset, or a small kind of closed up aster.... or....
lots of little ideas passed through my mind. but of course she just kept telling me she was a faery! As if the little curly green shoes were right there in plain sight. The pearlescent, straw-like flower capsules reflect light like an abalone shell. Her diminutive leaves lilt along the stem with nothing more to do than catch dewdrops. Her slightly furry lining draws me in closer, and I draw my cupped hands up the length of her, from earth to flower. I stick my nose into the center of my invisible harvest, only to be struck by the most incredible syrupy smell of a good tangy pina colada. ! It can't be so, I think, it's too tricky! Only something a leprechaun could devise. So I breath in again... and sure enough it's as though I popped a tropical starburst into my mouth. Mmmmm tea, please! I'm coming back for this faery flower with my best tea mug for sure.
And so I sit, on the coyote's midnight path, to watch the glimmer of this pretty little trail batiste.
Perhaps, next time I flip through my books, I'll catch a bit of history, uses or lore.... but no need to rush. I quite like the mystery.

5 comments:

Darcey Blue said...

oh yes, they do have the sweetest smell don't they? i have a native species to this area drying in a basket and I stick my nose in the basket from time to time to smell it. Pina colada might describe the smell very well...with a hint of lemongrass....
I haven't used it much either, but plan to learn more very soon! lets compare notes!

Anonymous said...

I know of some very interesting musings on that plant... holler when you're curious. I won't post a link to spoil it for ya...

Anonymous said...

OMGodess!!! I met this same plant for the first time a couple days ago, on the equinox. I blogged on it yesterday. Darcey told me you had posted on it too. This is such a beautiful description and captures its spirit so well... I wish I had your poetic talent to describe the powerful experience I had with her! I'm in love with this little faery

Darcey Blue said...

jim, send me a link!?
:)

Ananda said...

Thanks for such lovely responss!

Jim, you can definitely tell... my curiosity will eventually get the better of me!